History

It is likely that the earliest market in Liverpool was established by a charter granted by King John in 1207.  Fees from markets were originally the property of the Sovereign and organised communities were distinguished by those which held markets.  

In 1545 Sir Richard Molyneux obtained the right to fees from the town including those from markets and fairs.  This right was purchased by Liverpool Corporation in 1773 which since this time has been the sole authority with rights to fees from markets.  In 1995 Liverpool City Council granted a 99 year lease for fees from the Liverpool Meat and Fish market in Prescot Road to a private landlord who took responsibility for maintenance of the buildings.

Liverpool fish market has had various locations including:  Chapel Street, Derby Square, and St. John’s Market.  A new fish market opened in 1889 in Great Charlotte Street for 40 stands and 26 cellars with offices provided above the stall area.   In that year 22,000 tons of fish were traded as 1.5 m packages of fish.  Market hours were 6am – 5pm weekdays and until 1pm on Saturdays.   Fish was brought in by road and rail from Grimsby, Hull, Fleetwood and Milford Haven.   There were also a small number of Liverpool Fishing Vessels which had berths in the Salt house Dock.

            ©Liverpool Meat and Fish Market.

.  

Liverpool Meat Market. Meat Markets in Liverpool have operated on a site near to where the Town Hall now stands and near to Tithe barn Street.   

Stanley was founded as a market for livestock in 1830 by a private company in the district known as Old Swan and Stoneycroft.  On market days the local public houses were filled with drovers from the country.  Stanley Market was on a main corporation tram route and on the main road from Liverpool to the manufacturing districts of East Lancashire and Yorkshire.  The site was acquired by Liverpool Corporation in 1901.  A new building for Livestock and an Abattoir commissioned by Liverpool Corporation was completed in 1931 and opened by the Earl of Derby. The overhead hanging rail system was to transfer carcasses quickly from the Abattoir to chill rooms.   Butchers could oversee the temperature at which meat they wished to purchase was stored at.  The Abattoir was separate from the Livestock Market and it is believed that the Abattoir closed in 1971.

In 1931 Stanley Market Tenant's included some of the leading banks, dealers in offal and butchers accessories and a cafe and the offices were let to firms connected with various branches of the meat trade.  There were meat inspector’s offices, a canteen and a lecture theatre. Animals arrived at the market by rail at  Stanley station , on foot or by road. Stanley station was was opened in 1870 to take goods from Docks to Liverpool and was closed to passengers in 1948.

Christmas shows of dairy cattle, sheep, calves, pigs, poultry, bantams, pigeons and eggs were used to popularise the market. 

 The Abattoir closed in 1971 now fresh meat is purchased  from
 North West farmers using local abattoirs.

©Liverpool Meat and Fish Market.

Comments